First of all, that first statement is an overgeneralization. Not every Chinese person is going to be skilled at math of course. It’s ignorant to go into these stereotypes.
But try this:
Read them out loud to yourself. Now look away, and spend twenty seconds memorizing that sequence before saying them out loud again.
If you speak English, you have about a 50 percent chance of remembering that sequence perfectly If you’re Chinese, though, you’re almost certain to get it right every time.
Why is this?
One explanation is because the Chinese language allows them to read numbers faster.
Chinese number words are remarkably brief. Most of them can be said in less than 1/4th of a second (for instance, 4 is ‘si’ and 7 ‘qi’)
Their English equivalents—”four,” “seven”—are longer: pronouncing them takes about 1/3 of a second.
The English number system is also VERY illogical.
For example, right after the word 10, instead of saying one-ten, two-ten, three-ten we have different words like 11,12.
Not so in China, Japan and Korea. They have a logical counting system. Eleven is ten one. Twelve is ten two. Twenty-four is two ten four, and so on.
That difference means that Asian children learn to count much faster. Four year old Chinese children can count, on average, up to forty. American children, at that age, can only count to fifteen, and don’t reach forty until they’re 5 years old.
The regularity of their number systems also means that Asian children can perform basic functions—like addition—far more easily.
Ask an English seven-year-old to add thirty-seven plus twenty two, in her head, and she has to convert the words to numbers (37 + 22).
Ask an Asian child to add three-tens-seven and two tens-two, and no translation is necessary.
MORE POSTS LIKE THIS: X
Huh. That’s really interesting!
This makes so much more sense than the racist bullshit people come up with.
this applied to Thai language as well.
You should listen how Asian children recite the times table.
- shitmypartnerssay likes this
- indigofieldsforever reblogged this from rewindback
- lilylunaofasgard likes this
- zannah003 reblogged this from insertmisleadingurlhere
- mytravesty reblogged this from mekakudanshi
- wolfettet likes this
- hehehbrandon likes this
- mekakudanshi reblogged this from erikikwi
- louisechristianne reblogged this from laurabaenanti
- jesus-my-nigga likes this
- gordo10bx likes this
- sawaq-abook reblogged this from kingofhispaniola
- cowboopbeepboop reblogged this from terrakion
- why-are-usernames-so-difficult reblogged this from queendtm2
- why-are-usernames-so-difficult likes this
- indigofieldsforever likes this
- detonace reblogged this from ardenchos
- mikayla689 likes this
- stormofewinia reblogged this from wican
- yogirlkeepittogether likes this
- noniego likes this
- impalasdean likes this
- lie-justalittle reblogged this from erikikwi
- alisonology likes this
- notbr0kejustbentt likes this
- rewindback reblogged this from erikikwi
- rewindback likes this
- spiderbitchh reblogged this from terrakion
- yagirljosephine reblogged this from awonderfulplacetovent
- berenice24x7 reblogged this from mariela-please
- zainazahira reblogged this from kingofhispaniola
- zainazahira likes this
- elpresidente-lord-sensei likes this
- mygrandmagotrunoverbyobama likes this
- erikikwi reblogged this from phogalicious
- razorsharpkiss reblogged this from satokikuchi
- razorsharpkiss likes this
- enflewins likes this
- awonderfulplacetovent reblogged this from muslima-nadjoua
- oumsta17 likes this
- madame-a-la-mode reblogged this from kingofhispaniola
- candiceevelyn reblogged this from surille
- lesmis13 likes this
- miscellanyy reblogged this from ardenchos
- the11thcellist reblogged this from thedoctorisinn
- reciprocations likes this
- natnava likes this
- surille reblogged this from harloting
- nap-turallybeautiful likes this